We distill our own essential oils, using a columnar alembic potstill. We work in small volumes, and only for use in our own products – the essential oils are not for sale. However, the hydrosols are.
The steamy distillate of plant material comprises a highly concrentrated oil or extract – and water. Even once the oil is drained off, a large volume of it remains suspended in the water, also with other water-soluble plant compounds. This aromatic water is one of the safest and most effective ways to work with healing plant extracts.
We use our hydrosols as the water content in our moisturisers and our traditional soaps. But we also sell them in 200ml amber bottles, equipped with lids and spritzer caps. These can be consumed for their particular health benefits, but also work extremely well as facial spritzers – either as a supplementary “midday refresher” or to replace the toner in your skincare regimen.
When purchased retail, directly from us, hydrosol spritzers are R50 for 200ml.
We make new types of hydrosols all the time. These, however, are regular offerings:
- Green rooibos and buchu – Rooibos and Boegoe (buchu) – Agathosma Betulina, distilled together. This combination is also anti-septic and restores moisture to the skin. This hydrosol must be diluted, a capful to a glass of water, and gives a great immune system boost.
- Buchu – Boegoe - Agathosma Betulina. A nice toner for dry skin. If consumed, must be diluted. Excellent for water retention, may help with kidney complaints.
- Rooibos and lemongrass. Rooibos – Aspalathus linearis and Lemongrass – Cymbopogan Citratus. Can be used as an excellent toning facial mist, good for re-energising tired skin or opening up the pores to clean out toxins. Can also be consumed directly (neat) to clean out kidneys, provide relief from flatulence and even help manage candida infections.
- Sand olive. Sandolien – Dodoneae Augustifolia. Consume a capful neat, regularly, in the case of lung infections or fever. As a toner, it is excellent for problem skin although it may initially cause a breakout as it pushes out impurities.
- Rose geranium – a refreshing facial spritzer with a lovely scent. Rose geranium has stress-relieving properties. This option is good for tired, stressed out skin.
- Rooibos, buchu and wild rosemary
- Wild dagga