the &Rooibos range
Great combinations...the Storytellers Fynbos Apothecary &Rooibos range is built upon the wonderful role that rooibos plays as connector and facilitator. It serves as a beautiful complement to many of the healing plants of the Cederberg region, whilst delivering is own supportive and protective capabilities. We work with fresh, organically grown rooibos, which we pick fresh from our doorstep and infuse into our oils, essential oils and salts, straight away.
Our first, and still favourite, rooibos combination. Agtdaegeneesbos or Pyjama Bush (Lobostemon Fruticosus) soothes the skin and heals burns, irritations and scars. Rooibos (Aspalathus Linearis) supports connective tissue and is an anti-oxidant and anti-mutagenic. This combination is great for healing damage (old and new), soothing irritation and rebuilding healthy skin.
- Soothing moisturiser: Great for problem skin and old acne scars. Also good first aid for burns.
- Soothing moisturiser (limited edition with sand olive): Sand olive is packed with healing saponins that are helpful for keeping pores open and clear. This moisturiser not only helps to clear up acne damage but can also help clear up existing acne.
- Ointment: Wound healing, scar mending, treatment of burns, eczema.
- Coconut and clay soap: Gentle and soothing, can be used on the face and body, and is suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin and babies. Helpful for inflamed skin.
&Rooibos Cancer Bush:
Sutherlandia (Lessertia Frutescens) simultaneously supports and helps to modulate the immune system. Used topically, it has potent anti-bacterial, anti-viral capability, and yet can help to calm down topical inflammations and ease allergic reactions. It also protects against UVB radiation. Sutherlandia’s anti-inflammatory and analgesic activity also helps with intra-muscular aches and pains. Rooibos (Aspalathus Linearis) boosts the flavonoid content content even higher, bringing further UV protection, treatment of inflammation and protection against viruses and bacteria. This combination provides smart support for a wide range of conditions, from chronic inflammation (inside and out), infectious disease and even as a form of sun protection.
- Sun protection moisturiser: The phenolic acids in rooibos, wild olive leaf and sutherlandia have all been demonstrated to provide protection against harmful UVB radiation. This moisturiser, which also contains lemongrass essential oil to keep away bugs, is also soothing for sunburn and other topical inflammation.
- Ointment: Useful for protection against invaders, but also for calming the body. As a chest rub, it can help to reduce tightness and coughing and ease breathing. It is a healing balm for burns, open wounds and scars, and can be applied to sunburn or even older skin damage. It may be helpful in treating inflammatory skin conditions, such as rashes and eczema. It also provides gentle relief for muscular aches and pains.
- Tincture: This brandy-based infusion of sutherlandia and rooibos is a wonderful first line of support in the case of infectious disease, such as cold or flu. It can help to ease mild depression, and may also be helpful for sore muscles and inflammation.
We like to think of rooibos and buchu as the dance of the opposites. Where rooibos (Aspalathus Linearis) provides protection and support, buchu (Agathosma betulina) regulates and maintains flow. It is traditionally used for all complaints related to water in the body, from dry skin to urinary disorders. This combination is all about maintaining balance in the skin, supporting connective tissue whilst maintaining appropriate levels of moisture. It is therefore helpful in combating ageing, as well as environmental damage and dry skin conditions. It can also serve as an effective anti-bacterial and anti-fungal support.
- Balancing rooibos and buchu moisturiser: Helps maintain moisture balance and combat environmental damage. Keeps skin soft. A good anti-ageing support.
- Ointment: Makes a wonderful lip balm and helps to heal damaged cuticles and cracked heels. Also helpful as a disinfectant balm.
- Massage balm: This super-anti-oxidant massage balm helps relax muscles, reduce inflammation and restore moisture to the skin. With raw cacao butter combined with rooibos and buchu oil, it also smells good enough to eat!
- Coconut oil and clay soap: This gentle soap for face and body is suitable for all skin types, especially dry skin. It is gently disinfecting.
- Hydrosol: Can be used as a hydrating facial mister, which can also be applied as first aid for burns or disinfecting wounds. Can be diluted into water and consumed internally to manage inflammation as well as urinary disorders and water retention.
The refreshing combination. Lemongrass (Cymbopogon Citratus) is well-known for its astringent, toning and uplifting capabilities. It can help to stimulate circulation. It is also a natural disinfectant and insect repellent, and wonderful for relief from fungal infections. Rooibos (Aspalathus Linearis) also has a soothing effect on the skin and body and contributes its own antibacterial capabilities. This combination is all about refreshment and revitalisation. Gently stimulating, toning and cleansing, it also helps to keep bugs at bay.
- Uplifting rooibos and lemongrass moisturiser: This moisturiser can help to firm and tighten skin, and has a gently cooling effect. It is gently stimulating and also helps to keep insects at bay in the heat. It can even be applied for relief from candida.
- Ointment: Rooibos and lemongrass ointment makes an excellent antiseptic balm. It is an effective insect repellent, and brings relief from existing insect bites, removing the itch or sting. Used as a massage butter, it is excellent for stimulating lymphatic drainage and may be beneficial for cellulite.
- Coconut oil and clay soap: This gentle soap for face and body is particularly good for oily and problem skin, although it can be used for all skin types. It is beautifully cleansing and invigorating.
- Hydrosol: Can be used as an excellent toning facial mist, good for re-energising tired skin or opening up the pores to clean out toxins. Can also be consumed directly (neat) to clean out kidneys, provide relief from flatulence and even help manage candida infections.
- Bath salts and foot soak: Anti-septic and powerfully anti-inflammatory bath soak. Used daily for at least a week, as a foot soak, can also help clear up athlete’s foot.
&Rooibos Rose geranium:
The rose-scented geranium (Pelargonium graveolens) is known to be effective in relieving inflammation, boosting the immune system, disinfecting wounds and even relieving stress and depression. The gentle, calming action of rooibos (Aspalathus Linearis) also helps to soothe the system, inside and out. This combination is all about stress relief – gently uplifting body and mind.
- Coconut oil and clay soap: This gentle soap for face and body is excellent for tired, stressed out skin. It can be used by people of all ages and is excellent for sensitive skin. It is naturally uplifting and may even help lighten your mood.
Other rooibos combinations:
- Sandveld healer farmhouse soap: This traditionally made farmhouse soap includes an infusion of various healing plants from the sandveld biome of the Cederberg. These include rooibos (Aspalathus Linearis), Agtdaegeneesbos or Pyjama bush (Lobostemon Fruticosus), Sand Olive (Dodonaea Augustifolia) and Kraalbos (Galenia Africana). This is a gentle but robust soap which can be used on face and body, and even lathered up as a natural shampoo. It is wonderful for babies. This soap is excellent for inflammatory skin conditions and infections, including fungal infections.
- Wild dagga and rooibos farmhouse soap: This traditionally made farmhouse soap contains an infusion of rooibos (Aspalathus linearis) and Wild dagga or Lion’s ears (Leonotis Leonorus). This is a gentle soap which is simultaneously calming and uplifting. It can be used on face and body, or lathered as a shampoo. This one is a good choice for teenage acne and boils, or any angry, inflamed skin.